Vyew 4 Interface Overview

This article will help you transition from Vyew 3 to Vyew 4. As of April 2011, about 60% of our users are on Vyew 4.

How do I know if my account is Vyew 3 or 4?

To check what version you are on, go here: http://vyew.com/switchversions

What’s the difference Vyew 3 and Vyew 4?

• There are 2 minor things are not in Vyew 4: (1) Stamp Tool, (2) MP3 Support (will be fixed). Learn more.
  • Vyew 4 Interface has been changed to make it easier to use (we hope, your feedback is important to us).
  • We added some new features… Read here for more info.

The New Interface

Our goal of for the new interface was to make it simpler to use. Some of you who have been using Vyew 3 for a long time, may feel slightly lost when first jumping into Vyew 4 because we moved a few things around.

An important note: We’ve renamed “VyewBooks” to “Rooms” or “Vyew Rooms”.

Where did my buttons go?

Here’s a list of some things we did to the Vyew interface:

• Removed Book Menu – Most items moved into the Main Menu such as renaming, publishing, activity logs, settings.
  • Moved Edit Menu – Moved into the drawing tools side bar. This includes cut/copy/paste, undo/redo, etc…
  • Import Button renamed to INSERT – The Insert menu now houses inserting any new media, plugins, or blank pages and screenshots.
  • Removed buttons: Insert Plugin, Paste, Print, Add Page, Duplicate Page – these buttons were moved into the INSERT menu, or EDIT menu.
  • Moved Login Status / Logout into the Main Menu.
  • Chat Pod Loading is Different — If there is nobody in the room, the chat side pod does open by default. You can open it by click on the double arrow icon at the lower right part of the screen.

More Help Topics:

ht=morehelptopics;
var o=”<font size=’16′><B>More Help Topics</B></font>”
+”<BR><BR>”
+”<a href=’asfunction:helpclick,link_10812′>”
+”<B>» <font size=’13′><u>Screen Sharing Troubleshooter</u></font></B></a><BR>”
+”<a href=’asfunction:helpclick,link_6882′>”
+”<B>» <font size=’13′><u>Setting up a Mic/Webcam</u></font></B></a><BR>”
+”<a href=’asfunction:helpclick,link_542′>”
+”<B>» <font size=’13′><u>About Sync/Unsync Mode</u></font></B></a><BR>”
+”<a href=’asfunction:helpclick,link_1062′>”
+”<B>» <font size=’13′><u>About User Roles/Permissions</u></font></B></a><BR>”
+”<a href=’asfunction:helpclick,link_11032′>”
+”<B>» <font size=’13′><u>Quick Start Guide</u></font></B></a><BR>”

Updated: May 6th, 2011 · Tags:

Comments (60 Responses)

1. Tom says:

I am in South America with a very low band width, and V4 seems more responsive to me.

I like the new nomenclature rooms instead of books.

Less lag time when changing status. Very nice!

Will there be a feature to delete multiple pages at once?

Vyew

Great! Almost done…. deleting pages will be easier in the new version, with the new page navigator. multiple at once, not yet… but we’d like to add that.

KL

By the way, does the api here apply to 3.0 or 4.0?

how do you import content from one vyew room to another room? basically, making a copy of the room.

Vyew

If you go into a room, in the main menu, you can select “Save As…” to make a copy.

KL

Ok…but I am looking to do that with the API for 4.0. I am planning to list the list of rooms on my website, and allow visitor to make copies of the rooms. They can delete the rooms that they make a copy. Can this be done with the API? and would the APIs work for 4.0?

Vyew

Yes the API applies to both v3 and v4. I need to check with an engineer as to duplicating a room to a new user. So you want someone to click on your room then it will duplicate into their account and bring them into the room?

2. Kina says:

We switched to 4.0 interface, but now our instructor can no longer share his desktop with us. He uses a G4 MAC. We had to switch back to version 3.0 to commence class. :-( Does 4.0 not like MACs?

Vyew

Hi, we have not specifically tested that part with a Mac, but we will, and we will get it working. Sorry about that.

3. Steve Mackenzie says:

still cannot see a recordings button. Where can i find that

Vyew

We have discontinued Recordings for now. Will revisit in 6 months… sorry, we are just over stretched on our features.

jeb

wow, this is the one feature I have been patiently waiting on for a long time…the last piece I need to really make this a key corporate tool for our company.

Mary

I agree– this is a great feature- being able to leave audio notes is invaluable for language teaching

4. can you add a yes and no button for the user feedback. you have got some great tools, surprised that you have not included these.

Vyew

What do you mean by yes/no button in user feedback? Inside the Vyew application you want a Yes/No button? Where?

Steve Mackenzie

goes with raised hand icon. i call them feedback icons, associated with each participant in the participant panel. core icons are yes (tick), no(cross), raised hand – other useful icon is away (as in just moved away from the computer for a minute or two) and emoticons (not essential, but can add to the intercation, participation, self expression.

yes (tick), no(cross) – Why are these so important? because in an interactive class you can use these icons to check that everyone has finished a task. (give us a green tick, when you have finished) or check understanding (if you are happy with that explanation give me a green tick or a red cross if you don’t understand. Quick polling (gives a green tick if you used vyew before or a red cross if you have not)

5. Don’t want to dampen your spirits but can i just say that i went into vyew 3.o and it was a WOW experience. so intuitive and easy to work out what to do. 4.0 not as good in my opinion, disappointing – test mic and webcam was much more obvious. user, chat and audio/video panels are big and chunky now- i can hardly get in 2 or 3 lines of text chat.

Still one of the greatest web conferencing tools on the market. Well Done – just need you to tell me that recording is good to go!

Vyew

Hi. Thank you for your comments. I am interested in getting on a conference call with you so we can discuss in further detail. Can you please send your contact info to support@vyew.com so I can reach you?

6. Sarah says:

Dear Vyew team
    I am really enjoying the 4.0 software, I just wonder though – is there any way for you to add a point button, or for the shapes to not cover over pre-existing text? In this way, I would find it much easier
    to draw people’s attention to specific information. Also, I totally agree with Steve, waiting very eagerly for record functions. If this becomes available I will definitely be upgrading!

Vyew

Hi. By point button, you mean like a laser pointer, or an arrow you can drag around? Currently, the other users will see your mouse move around, this is not good enough?

Re: shapes going over text — after you draw the shape, click on it, and there is an icon called “Send to back” which will move the shape behind the text.

7. zhao huang says:

What happend to the screen capture function? It was the most useful function
    and that differentiated vyew.com from everyone else.

Vyew

The screen capture fuction is still available. We moved it into the INSERT button at the top middle of the page.

8. bob says:

I have to make conferences with international clients, any way for them to choose their language?

Vyew

Not at this time. We are working on a Vyew interface that will support other languages though.

9. Ernani says:

Can I record the meetings?

No, sorry we do not have recording. Check out CamStudio

amit

if you dont have recording, why would you mention it in your comparison chart that you do have recording.

see here

it says clearly – session recording (checked)

Vyew

Youre right. Sorry i’ll take it out. We DID have recording for a while but then we pulled the plug on it when we changed one of our server formats. It is on our roadmap to re-instate recording.

10. amit says:

can we see the activity details of the users logging in and logging out (with ip addressess) in your rooms

Vyew

At this time no. We are considering adding this.

11. Shaunt says:

Honestly, this is a really cool environment to colloborate. I wish it had more drawing options. It would be nice to have more options for the kind of shapes you add. I could see using this in a meeting and wanting to flow chart a process or document the steps of a project visually… etc.
    Maybe that’s coming?

Also, it would be nice to be able to grab a group of items and move them all together to reposition, similar to power point.

Vyew

Yes, diagramming tools are on our roadmap… definitely needed.

Multi-select and drag was in our old version and has not yet been ported to our new version. That is on our list for the next release. We try to do new release updates every couple months.

12. Anshu Jain says:

I have two moitors that I work with. When using screen sharing, I only want files on terminal 1 to be sharable. When I use crop screen share options, it does just that but shows a white patch for the area my terminal 2 takes.
    I use connectnow (adobe connect) and I was able to mention, if I want my screen/terminal 1 to be shared or terminal 2.
    Is there a possibility to do the same here.
    thanks

Vyew

I believe Vyew only works with terminal 1. If you are using crop mode, no patch should show up…. I use 2 terminals as well and it has worked fine for me. Can you send a screenshot in of the problem to support: http://vyew.com/contact

13. Renee says:

I am new to Vyew and have read many of your helpful articles on getting started. I have created a room and uploaded a Power Point, but when I look at it, it has shifted my words a bit so they don’t look spaced as they were originally. What can I do about this? Thank you.

Vyew

Hi. I’ll need to as an engineer, but I know one thing you can try is to save the powerpoint as a PDF first, then upload it.

14. amit says:

your site has been really slow for a last couple of days and so many server outages each day. what are you guys doing to solve this problem ?

Vyew

An increase in traffic is causing extra load on our databases. We have spent some time looking at the bottlenecks and made a few optimizations we think will make a big improvement. We are also installing more monitoring sensors throughout the system to help alert so we can pinpoint problems quicker.

15. PETE MATZ says:

CAN I SHUT OFF THE POP UP ALERT WHEN ATTENDEES COME IN OR OUT OF A ROOM

Not at this time.

PETE MATZ

IT’S VERY ANNOYING WHEN THE QUALITY IS LOW & PEOPLE GO IN & OUT TO GET A BETTER CONNECTION

16. Sja says:

There are times you wish to scrap all your pages in a room and begin from scratch because of some errors and it will be mush easier to scrap all pages than go from page to page to delete content on those pages for a presentation.

If I deleted all pages in a room and begin again will the deleted pages be added to my quota of pages for a room.

Lets say I used 40 pages and wish to delete those pages to start over will I now be limited to 11 pages or will I still have 51 pages to work with.

Vyew

No. When you delete a page, your max pages limit goes back down. So you can create 50 then delete 50 then create 50 more.

17. Sja says:

I have some suggestions for you to consider can I post them here or email them to support and I must highly commend in regards to this site it is beautiful and the prompt response to persons questions is marvelous this is a wonderful service.

Got this conference site while browsing and checking out conference sites and it was a gift will be upgrading after I get to test the room and it features and run a couple of meetings.

One thing will be nice if it is possible to be done is to be able to merge push to talk and conference call so that individuals who are in the room can hear the participants using the conference line.

Vyew

either is fine. We would like to merge the voip with conference call. Its on our roadmap.

18. helen says:

sorry stupid senior here but is there an option for participants to see and hear me?
    if so HOW

helen

sorry just found it. for others info go to web cam /talk

19. sarah says:

Hi all,

I’m new here and i want to to use class room and invite student.

I hope you help me to understand main using rules for calsses.

Thanks for your help and your time.

Sarah.

Vyew

The best thing to get familiar with Vyew is join our live webinar on fridays. http://vyew.com/s/webinar/

20. Matt says:

I can’t get my iSight webcam to work with vyew….

I’m using the following:

Vyew: 4
    Macbook Pro with builtin iSight
    OSX: 10.6.6
    Flash Plugin: 10.1.102.64
    Firefox: 3.6

It could just be something I’ve not configured but I have tried the following:

1. Ensured that iSight camera is selected in the Flash settings
    2. Tried the other ones that are available in the Flash settings
    3. Made sure that the camera works with other apps/services
    4. Tried webcam test in the help pages and failed
    5. Paid for an upgrade thinking maybe video wasn’t free :-)
    6. Scoured the Internet looking for any previous forum posts with the same issues

The only thing I see when I enable the webcam is a gray box with my user name in it. Also, webcam light never comes on as it does when it is used with other services.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vyew

Did you ever get this working? Sorry for the late response. Did you try it in any other flash-based cam sites, such as this one: http://www.sillywebcam.com/others/?demo=test-your-webcam

On the mac, there is frequently a lot of devices to choose from when selecting a webcam. See here for selecting different devices: http://vyew.com/s/help/basics/communicating/trouble-comm/13312/webcam-troubleshooting/

21. Debasish Dutta says:

Dear Sir,

I am from India. May I know why ” screen share ” is not coming in my account? How I can show video during presentation?

Your Getting Started tutorials is not running with my account while opening in Home. Please guide me.

Regards

Debasish

Vyew

Do you have a registered account? Please login here: http://vyew.com/login, then your screen share tab should show up. More about video: http://vyew.com/link/1362

22. Marti Monroe says:

Dear Mark,
    I have been trying repeatedly to upload a youtube I made so I can inspire without hesitation the students I meet tonight.

I keep getting timed out and it doesn’t upload.

We may need to have a conversation soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPVbaftyUzA This is the one I want in Session TWO in may folder

M

Vyew

hi. vyew does not support “uploading” a youtube, but you can link to it so that a video will be displayed within the room. Follow these instructions:

23. Julie says:

I tried to upload a .pdf file and all of my slides are turned a 1/4 turn to the left. I tried changing the pdf slides (turned them a 1/4 turn to the right) to compensate for the issue, but that didn’t help at all. How should I save the file? I have it in .ppt, but my background color pixels looked horrible (and they’re stock backgrounds). What must I do to remedy this as well.
    Thank you for making such a great program in general. I think I’ll be using you when I begin tutoring on my own online. :-)

24. markt says:

Importing a .pdf, then rotating and repositioning is the best way. I’m curious why that did’nt work for you.

25. nilesh says:

I am trying to do video conferencing. The view of the other person is too small. How to expand it to occupy maximum screen area.

markt

Clicking on the Gear icon button ( to the right of the TALK button) will give you the option to ‘Expand video size’. This can be done a couple of times. Also, hover your mouse over one of the video streams, and click on the icon at the upper right. That will embiggen that video relative to the others.

26. I am trying the system for usage in our company with 50 Users.
    my first question is:
    I am importing a document within 50 pages. Each page has comments. But to see the comments i have to go to a page. Is it not possible to scroll the comments?

What i want to know als is: Normally we need a more simple System of yours. I dont want o go outside from google apps. I only want to comment and chat and do notes to the pdf. Is it possible to programm a simple version in our google docs system?

markt

Yea, the comments are usually used in reference to the elements on a page, so if you have multiple pages, that’s here the comments should be. A page in a Vyew room can be very large though. You could cut and paste several pages of a PDF onto one page in a Vyew room.

We are working on a tighter integration with Google Docs (soon to be “Google Drive”), but it’s still a ways off.

Post your comment here...

This site uses a Hackadelic PlugIn, Hackadelic SEO Table Of Contents 1.6.0.