The Desktop Sharing and Screen Capture tools in Vyew require Java 1.6 (aka 6.0) to be installed into your browser. It is easy, free and takes about 1 minute to install.
What Java Version Do I have?
- Vyew Desktop Sharing and Screen Shot tool requires Java 1.6 (aka 6.0).
- Check your version at our Browser Test Page.
To Install or Upgrade Java
- If you have an old version of Java installed
- Go to java.com.
- Click the Free Java Download button.
Java Version Conflicts
If you have multiple Java versions installed, it’s likely our Desktop Sharing applet will not work. Even if you think you have only one version of Java, there may be an old one lurking in your computer. Here’s how to check if you have multiple versions (and get rid of old ones):
- Go to START > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs (in Windows). This will list all of your programs. You will see something like “Java(TM) 6 update 17″. Uninstall all but the newest one. (Don’t worry, if you need the old versions, you can reinstall them here).
- Don’t celebrate yet—you probably still have the old Java files on your computer, but your computer doesn’t realize it. Check C:\Program Files\Java (in Windows). There you will see the folders that hold all of the Java Files. You should have one or two, but you may very well see three or four. You should have jre6 or jre1.6.0_<version> or both. Anything more and you have multiple versions of Java. To get rid of them, just delete the folders that aren’t jre6 and the latest jre1.6.0_<version>. If you still need the old versions, create another folder, e.g. “old_java_versions”, and put them in there. You may need to relink these versions to the programs that use them. Our desktop sharing program will see then only the one version of Java.
Rarely, this may fail. You will then need to repeat steps 1 and 2 and uninstall and delete all of your Java versions, restart your computer, and reinstall the latest Java version from java.com.
Accepting the Java Security Notice
During your first run of either Desktop Sharing or Screen Capture, you may see a Java Security Notice, which will ask you if you want to run the Vyew Applet. Click Run or OK, to continue. If you do not accept this notice the Vyew features will not work. You will need to refresh or restart your browser and try again.