The chat pod is located to the lower right of Vyew. Type into the input box and hit enter. Anyone in the room can read your chats.
Private Chat Rooms
Click the Start Private Chat button and select the users with whom you’d like a private chat. Other users will not be able to see these chats.
A private chat tab will appear next to the All tab. You can click between the different chat tabs.
To clear your chat history, as a moderator or owner, click the Chat menu and select Clear Chat History.
If the communications side bar is minimized, click anywhere on it to open.
Four Methods of Communication
- Webcam – Up to 4 users can simultaneously broadcast their webcam image to everyone in the room.
- Built-in VoIP (Voice over IP) – Up to 4 users can simultaneously broadcast their headset mic to speak and listen to each other.
- Conference Call – Each user can dial into the free conference call phone number; regular long-distance charges may apply.
- Chat – Chat with everyone in your meeting, or initiate private chats with individual attendees.
Pros and Cons of Each Method
- Pros: Easier and faster if users have their webcam options set. Ideal if a small number of people are giving a presentation to a large number of people.
- Cons: Only 4 users can broadcast simultaneously, so if more people want to webcam, they have to wait their turn. Mac OSX can sometimes be finicky about webcam setup.
- Don’t use the webcam if some of your users have slow internet.
- Pros: Easier and faster if users have their headset mic and sound options set. Good for users outside of the U.S. who cannot call into the conference call. Ideal if a small number of people are giving a presentation to a large number of people (the audience chat their questions and comments, while presenters use VoIP).
- Cons: If one of the users only has speakers, or a loud headset, or a faulty sound configuration, it may cause an echo. Only 4 users can talk simultaneously, so if more people want to talk, they have to wait their turn.
- Don’t use VoIP if:
- Some of your users have slow internet.
- You need more than 4 people to talk simultaneously during a meeting.
- Any of the users who want to talk do not have a headset mic.
- Pros: Supports 100 callers simultaneously, or some can be muted. You don’t have to worry about headsets and sound configurations for all users.
- Cons: Users need to have access to a phone be able to call long distance. Long distance charges may apply.
- Pros: Easy, requires no setup. Has the ability to address all users at once, or individual users privately.
- Cons: Not as immediate as VoIP or the Conference Call, especially with users who cannot type fast.
Skype is a free online Voice over IP (VoIP) system which you can use to call anyone in the world. The only downside is that each person needs to install the Skype software. Vyew does not directly integrate with Skype, but you can use Skype in conjunction with Vyew by initiating a Skype and Vyew meeting at the same time.