A quiz/polling feature is frequent request, and it is on the timeline, but as of now, Vyew does not have one.
One serviceable workaround is to have your participants use the Status feature. By clicking on their own name in the userlist, and selecting Change status to:, users can select one of the five status options to express their responses.
The Whiteboard Tool Palette
Click on the “Pen” icon at the left of Vyew to open.
- Edit Menu – Undo, cut/copy/paste, clear page or selected items, filter objects by user, and more.
- Selection Tool – Move and modify objects.
- Line Tools – Draw freehand and highlight on the Vyew Room whiteboard with color and width options, or straight lines with color, width and arrowhead options.
- Text Tool – Insert text with color, font, size, bold, italics and underline options.
- “Sticky Note” Tool – Post text or voice comments and start a discussion.
- Shape Tools – Draw rectangles and ellipses with border color, border width, and fill color options.
- Delete Tool – Delete any object, depending on user permissions.
- Undo several levels.
- Cut, Copy and Paste
- Duplicate Page
- Clear Page – Remove multiple objects by type. Not undoable!
- Delete Page – Remove an entire page and it’s contents. Not undoable!
- Unlock all Objects – See the Lock tool in Manipulating Content.
- Filter Object – View objects by creator for easier manipulation.
Click and drag a box around the objects you wish to select.
Depending on the type, you may copy, rotate, resize and more. See Manipulating Content.
- The Pen icon opens three tools:
- Straight Line – click to add an arrowhead.
- Color Palette
- Line Width – 4 presets: 3, 5, 9 and 15 pixels. Click for fine control between 1 and 50 pixels.
- Arrowhead – for straight line tool only.
- Six font choices: Arial, Courier New, Georgia, Times New Roman, Trebuchet MS, and Verdana.
- 13 font sizes between 8 and 96 pixels.
- Bold, Italic, Underline.
- Color palette.
- Click the Save icon, or type CTRL-s to leave text editing mode.
“Sticky Note” Tool
- Text Comments – Type text then click Save.
- Audio Comments -
- Click the red circle to begin recording.
If the Adobe Flash Player Settings box pops up, select Allow, check Remember, then click Close.
- Click the black square to stop recording and save.
- To play back, open the comment and click on the “cell phone” icon.
- Click the red circle to begin recording.
- Have replies emailed to you.
- Add flags: To Do, Done, Question, or Favorite.
- Click the button near the right center of Vyew to open the comments side bar to see multiple comments.
- At the top, you can filter by user, date or flag; search by term; or display a summary page.
- The Shape icon opens two tools:
- Border and Fill Color Palettes
- Border Width – 4 presets: 3, 5, 9 and 15 pixels. Click for fine control between 1 and 50 pixels.
Hover the Delete Tool over an object. The object will highlight red. Click to delete.
Hide Your Cursor
In Vyew, you can import multiple file types into a single page, layer media objects, draw over them, and move them in groups, just like you would in Microsoft Powerpoint.
Inserting New Pages
Click Insert near the top center of Vyew, then Blank Page.
Click the Trash Can icon near the top right of Vyew.
Click Yes to confirm.
Inserting Content – File Types
Vyew can import these types of content:
- Microsoft Office – .doc .ppt .xls .docx .pptx .xlsx
- Adobe PDF – .pdf
- Open Document – files from LibreOffice or OpenOffice: .odt .ods .odp
- Text Files – .txt .rtf
- Images – .jpg .png .gif .bmp
- Flash Movies/Applications – .swf (Learn more)
- Audio Files – .mp3 (Learn more)
- Video Files – .flv (Video files must be hosted by a third-party. See Inserting Video Files.)
- Screenshots using Vyew’s Screen Capture tool.
Inserting Content from Your Computer
Click Insert near the top center of Vyew, then File From Computer.
In the file selection box, select or type the name of the file, then type or click Enter, OK, or Open. (Shown here is the Windows 7 file selection box— yours may differ.)
Inserting Content via Email
You can insert text and files through email. See here for how.
Inserting Content from the Internet
You can easily import from the web:
- Import documents and images from a URL, e.g. “http://domain.com/image.jpg”
- Import a snapshot of a webpage, e.g. “http://digg.com”
Click Insert near the top center of Vyew, then From URL.
In the text box, enter the URL of the file or webpage snapshot. Type Enter or click Insert.
Inserting Screenshots with the Screen Capture Tool
Insert a full or cropped snapshot of your desktop into your room.
- Click Insert, then Screen Capture.
- The Vyew Screen Capture applet will appear over anything on your desktop. Arrange your desktop for capture.
- Click Capture Screen.
- Crop to your preference, then click Confirm Screen Shot.
- The image will appear in your Vyew Room.
- Click Cancel to close the Vyew Screen Capture applet.
More Content Options
Click Insert, then More… to expand the Insert palette, revealing more options:
- – Search and insert images via Google.
- – Search and insert, or enter the direct URL of videos from YouTube or a hosted .flv file.
- – Insert content from your other Vyew rooms.
- Use plugins for more functionality:
- Button – A dynamic button that can take your participants to another page, another Vyew room, another website, and more.
- Graphing Calc – Draw graphs of multiple user-defined functions on an X-Y axis.
- Equation Editor – Create and display complex math equations.
- MP3 Player – MP3s can be played within Vyew Rooms for all participants to hear.
- Calendar – A simple one-month calendar that you can annotate as desired.
Click an object with the Select tool to show its manipulation options.
- Cut and Copy – Paste by typing CTRL-v, or selecting Paste from the Edit menu in the Whiteboard tool palatte.
- Duplicate – create a copy on the same page.
- Bring to front and Send to back – layer objects.
- Rotate clockwise and Rotate counterclockwise – Linked document pages will be rotated together.
- Lock – Prevents objects from being manipulated, moved or deleted while working on top or around them. Click the object, then click at the lower right of the object to unlock. Only the Owner, Moderator or the person who locked it can unlock.
- Resize – for imported documents, the corner boxes will maintain proportionality. Linked document pages will be resized together.
- Download – documents and pictures may be downloaded by users with permission.
- To move an object, select and drag. Linked document pages will be moved together.
- To delete an object, select and hit your keyboard’s Delete key, or use Cut.
Navigating, Rearranging and Renaming Pages
Click the Page Manager dropdown button near the top center of Vyew.
- Click on a page to jump, or navigate with the blue arrows.
- Drag to rearrange.
- Rename a page in either name field.
- Bookmark a page.
- Delete a page.